March 29, 2015

The Accidental Empress by Allison Pataki

Genre: Historical Fiction

Publisher: Howard Books

Pages: 512

Rating: ★★★★



Synopsis

The year is 1853, and the Habsburgs are Europe’s most powerful ruling family. With his empire stretching from Austria to Russia, from Germany to Italy, Emperor Franz Joseph is young, rich, and ready to marry.

Fifteen-year-old Elisabeth, “Sisi,” Duchess of Bavaria, travels to the Habsburg Court with her older sister, who is betrothed to the young emperor. But shortly after her arrival at court, Sisi finds herself in an unexpected dilemma: she has inadvertently fallen for and won the heart of her sister’s groom. Franz Joseph reneges on his earlier proposal and declares his intention to marry Sisi instead.

Thrust onto the throne of Europe’s most treacherous imperial court, Sisi upsets political and familial loyalties in her quest to win, and keep, the love of her emperor, her people, and of the world.

With Pataki’s rich period detail and cast of complex, bewitching characters, The Accidental Empress offers a captivating glimpse into one of history’s most intriguing royal families, shedding new light on the glittering Hapsburg Empire and its most mesmerizing, most beloved “Fairy Queen.”
 


My Thoughts

From the moment I first heard about this book I knew I had to read it. I really love anything historical fiction. I was especially interested because it was based on real people and real events.


Accidental Empress is about Empress Elisabeth "Sisi" of Austria. Initially, her sister, Helene, was arranged to marry the Emperor Franz Joseph. When Sisi and Helene go to meet the young Emperor, he is immediately taken by Sisi.

The story follows Sisi's life from meeting Franz Joseph up to their coronation as the King and Queen of Hungary. Even though the novel focused on Sisi, it did still discuss the changing times in the empire and the important artistic figures of the time.

The set up of this book was different from anything I had read before and really kept me from putting it down. Each chapter would begin with an excerpt from the Hungarian Coronation at the end of the book.

I really enjoyed learning more about these Habsburg rulers. I would only ever stop reading to look up more information about Franz Joseph, Sisi, and Count Andrássy. While it was fiction, a lot of the plot was driven by historical events or rumors.

Last year I read The American Heiress and I would definitely recommend that to anyone who enjoyed this book too!

My Favorite Line

I've won battles in Italy and Hungary. I'm the emperor, for God's sake. And yet you would conquer me with a smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment