August 1, 2015

Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Genre: Fiction

Publisher: Washington Square Press 

Pages: 352

Rating: ★★



Synopsis

At the age of twenty-nine, Hannah Martin still has no idea what she wants to do with her life. She has lived in six different cities and held countless meaningless jobs since graduating college. On the heels of leaving yet another city, Hannah moves back to her hometown of Los Angeles and takes up residence in her best friend Gabby’s guestroom. Shortly after getting back to town, Hannah goes out to a bar one night with Gabby and meets up with her high school boyfriend, Ethan.

Just after midnight, Gabby asks Hannah if she’s ready to go. A moment later, Ethan offers to give her a ride later if she wants to stay. Hannah hesitates. What happens if she leaves with Gabby? What happens if she leaves with Ethan?

In concurrent storylines, Hannah lives out the effects of each decision. Quickly, these parallel universes develop into radically different stories with large-scale consequences for Hannah, as well as the people around her. As the two alternate realities run their course, Maybe in Another Liferaises questions about fate and true love: Is anything meant to be? How much in our life is determined by chance? And perhaps, most compellingly: Is there such a thing as a soul mate?

Hannah believes there is. And, in both worlds, she believes she’s found him.


My Thoughts

I had some hesitations about reading this book. 

The first one being that I thought I was going to prefer one version of events over the other and end up skipping through half the book. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really loved both series of events! The story unfolded so well. After a few chapters, the book begins it's split narrative. It only goes one chapter in each of the parallel realities so it really keeps you engaged  in the stories and constantly wanting more. 

Another thing I thought I knew about this book I was that it was going to be a typical, stale chick-lit/rom-com and therefore not have any sort of lasting impression. But again, I was wrong. This was thought-provoking and fresh and I really, really loved every part of this story! Everything about this book was unconventional but that just added to the unique perspective on finding your way through life. 

I was so glad that this book proved me wrong. It was original and captivating and really snuck up on me and I enjoyed every second! 

My Favorite Line

Fate or not, our lives are still the results of our choices. I'm starting to think that when we don't own them, we don't own ourselves 

1 comment:

  1. Tell me a bit more about this one! I've had my eye on it...and your review just convinced me that I need to see if my library has it!

    ReplyDelete